Where it Began...
On June 12, 1902, Sigma Alpha Iota was formed at the University School of Music in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Seven woman came together and established our proud fraternity:
- Elizabeth Campbell
- Francis Caspari
- Minnie Davis Sherrill
- Leila Farlin Laughlin
- Nora Crane Hunt
- Georgina Potts
- Mary Storrs Anderson
The mission of Sigma Alpha Iota International Music Fraternity is to encourage, nurture, and support the art of music.
- To form chapters of women college students and alumnae who have a sincere interest in music.
- To uphold the highest standards of music.
- To further the development of music in America and throughout the world.
- To give inspiration and encouragement to members.
- To organize the cultural life of Sigma Alpha Iota members as a contributing factor to their educational growth.
- To support the ideals and goals of the member's Alma Mater.
- To adhere to the highest standards of citizenship in school, community, and fraternity life.
As of August 1, 2011, Sigma Alpha Iota has:
- 115,345 Initiated Members
- 4,974 Undergraduate and Graduate National Dues-Paying Members
- 4,138 National Alumnae Association Dues-Paying Members
- 219 Active Collegiate Chapters
- 119 Active Alumnae Chapters
- 1 International Chapter